Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Well, I'm back. . .

Got back home in Michigan last evening. Sigh. I wish I could say it's good to be back, but that would be a bold faced lie. True, I missed my friends. I missed writing in my blog. I missed my apartment and even my parents' dog. But I didn't miss Michigan and it's cold, gray weather. I didn't miss Warren and it's white trash residents and ugly brick buildings. And I didn't miss my job and it's whining customers. Sigh. Oh well, though. Try and keep positive.

Florida was great. The weather was cold and rainy the first two days I was down there, but that just gave us some time to hit the mall and movies (Waking Tall. . . not a bad movie, just not worth the effort to write up.) Wednesday Erin and I hit Pensacola to see her uncle, which was really fun. Ate at a nice restaurant called Hemingway's for lunch and then a nice Irish pub called McGuire's for dinner, where they had thousands of dollar bills hanging from the cieling. Nice day.

Thursday we just bummed around on the beach or around the pool. It was my first time on the ocean (other than a disastrous Myrtle Beach trip that doesn't count.) Really is there anything more beauitful and peaceful than a sunny day and a blue ocean and white sand? I could lie on the beach for hours and be a very happy man. And our pool. . . don't get me started! 12,000 square feet, this thing was pool on top of pool spilling into each other. Beautiful. Really, words can't describe it.

Friday was a day of running errands and staying out of the sun to avoid getting a worse burn than I already had, so Erin and I hit an outlet mall. Friday night was the rehearsal for the wedding. And Saturday was my last day to bum around on the beach and then the big event was Saturday night.

The wedding was beautiful. Right on the beach, with a calm ocean behind us. It was a small wedding and reception, so everyone had a chance to visit with the bride and groom. Scott and I (the two best men) gave the toasts and I think Ryan appreciated it. Really, just a perfect day for them. :)

Probably the thing I loved most about this trip was the fact that I spent some well-needed time with my family, including aunts and uncles, cousins, and grandparents. And it was so nice to be with them all. We have a very close family and so spending time with my Nana and Papaw was wonderful. And having Matt around and healthy, when this time last year we were worried about cancer, was incredible. God is so good!!

I also got a lot straight with God that I needed to. I'll probably write more of that later. But He helped me focus more on Him, when the distractions I have day in and day out were cleared away. And despite my comments earlier, I really may not be happy to be home, but I'm ready to go back to work and school. Ready to take all that back on. Why not? :)

Not everything was great. Erin and I had some sort of fight that I'm still trying to figure out on the way home. Haven't heard from her yet, but I don't know what's up. But that's not really something I'll discuss very freely in this forum.

So now I'm home. Today was a day off work to play catch up and I needed it. I had a paper to write for my business law class that starts tomorrow night. I had to unpack my parents' car, get my pictures developed. And I watched Kill Bill on DVD so I can be refreshed before this weekend. I love that movie. . . I could write paragraph upon paragraph about it, but I'm not going to do it right now. . . I'll wait until I can see Volume 2.

Well, I gotta go. Time to take a walk than finish cleaning my dad's jeep and then to my parents' for American Idol and 24. . . which had a killer last episode!! I'll try and write more tonight!

C-Dubbs