Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Another Weird, Wacky, Whimsical Wednesday Weeknight. . .

Well, the night is winding down and I'm sitting here in my pajamas, Starbuck's cafe mocha by my side just letting my thoughts unspool tonight. It actually was a very relaxing, enjoyable afternoon and evening for me. After work I came home and took a half hour power nap that was EXTREMELY refreshing. Then I putzed around the apartment for a bit and then hit the gym. I had myself a nice, energetic workout and then headed back to my place for dinner. Then I sat on the porch and read for about an hour and took a nice, long, leisurely walk around the neighborhood/ghetto I live in. After that, I was all prepared to do some laundry, but the neighbor down the hall beat me to it. So I cleaned my room and bathroom (both well needed) and then got the laundry in. I watched who got booted off American Idol (Camille--why John Stevens aka Fireball is still on only goes to prove the stupidity of the voters!) and then after annoying Di with text messages to quell my boredom, sat down at my computer to write in this here blog thing. . . whew. . . and I'm just getting warmed up!!

As is usually the case when a lazy spring day is mixed with caffeine, I've got a lot of thinking done today. The first thing I noticed is that this weather puts me into a nostalgic state of mind. I remember this time of the year when I was a kid. I'd stay out late riding my bike, playing baseball, or shooting hoops in the driveway. And as I grew older, those nights were spent walking down the streets with friends in Royal Oak, sitting at the playground by Deebe's until 3 in the morning with Shannon, or just hanging out with friends until all hours of the night. . . ahh, the carefree days of college, before reality took hold.

It kind of made me sad. Not because I don't stay out until all hours of the night. I've adjusted fine to that. . . and I have enough responsibility that by midnight I'm ready for bed!! But I also started thinking about all the friends that I don't see anymore, who just somehow drifted away and I--in my stupidity or carelessness--neglected to call or write. I miss chatting with Shannon about nothing or everything, taking walks around the neighborhood in the late night hours, sitting on the playground and just venting about all the stressful things going on in our lives. Somehow those were the moments during college where I feel I really grew up, because it helped shape my opinions and my character.

I miss talking to Melanie on the phone or hanging out with her over coffee. I miss going to her dance recitals and laughing about how screwed up most our friends were. I miss the fact that we were close enough where we could communicate with just a raised eyebrow or a glance over someone's shoulder. Mostly, though, I just miss having that friend in my life.

I miss my friend Katie. Just a person who was so sweet, innocent, and positive. And I don't know why we never kept in touch when she moved to Chicago. She was a good one :) Watching Average Joe this past week, I thought Rachel reminded me so much in looks and personality of Katie, and how I miss just laughing with her or hanging out with her.

By the way, just because these friends are girls, don't think I'm ruminating on old flames. There was a crush or two with these three, but what I really miss is just the pleasure of their company. I just miss being able to talk to these girls. . . they were true, good friends.

I miss Aaron Lawless and Justin. Just guys I could hang out with and discuss spiritual matters with for hours on end and then turn around and laugh for hours about stupid things.

And don't get me wrong. . I'm not depressed here! I have friends I cherish deeply. Tim, Amy, Diana, all my friends at church are people I love hanging out with, even if right now I'm not as close as I was with those previously mentioned. Tim makes me laugh harder than anyone I know. Diana is great for hanging out with.

Brandon is the best roommate I could hope for (even if sometime his dishwashing skills leave much to be desired). And for years, he's been my best guy friend, always good to hang out with and laugh with and go to for advice. And Erin is the female counterpart of that, probably one of the best friends I've ever been blessed with! She's always great for laughs, advice, or just sitting in comfortable silence. So, I'm not lacking for friends. Just nostalgic.

Erin says that God brings people in your life for a season. And during that time, there is some mutual need that you can both meet. And sometimes, that season has to end. I understand and appreciate that, and I'm so thankful for the friends God has blessed me with over life's road. But that doesn't make it hurt less, you know? Sometimes I think about these people and I smile, laugh, and then get choked up. Because you may drift away from your friends, but you never really lose them or forget them.

There was more I was going to write, about singleness and stuff. But it's not that heavy, and I'm kind of exhausted now. So I'll get to it tomorrow! But for now I want to leave you with the lyrics to a song that Wayne Watson wrote years ago that deals with what I wrote about tonight called "A Season in Your Path."

Heard that friends are friends forever
But we don't talk much anymore
I guess that I've gone my way
And I guess that you've gone yours
Was kindness too neglected? On my list of deep regrets.
In spite of distance unexpected
Can we forgive but not forget?

Sometimes I think about you
Some old memories make me Cry
Remembering the good times makes me laugh
But all in all I'm richer for
The happy and the sad
And thankful for a season in your path

I guess God alone deciphers when people need each other most
Who will be the blessed receiver
And who will be the gracious host
And all a servant here can do is unto the Lord avail
Content at times to be the wind and at times to be the sail
If another winter settles on your shoulder down the road
Without a thought of what's behind us
Let me help you pull your load

Sometimes I think about you
Some old memories make me cry
Remembering the good times makes me laugh
But all in all I'm richer for the happy and the sad
And thankful for a season in your path