Saturday, April 03, 2004

COLD FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First morning in almost a week where I didn't wake up feeling like my head had been stuffed with snot (pretty picture, I know!) My cough is actually mostly gone as well and I feel pretty stinkin' good today. Got to sleep in until about 11 and it is a beautiful Detroit day today!!

So I went and saw Hellboy last night. It was kind of a spur of the moment type thing. Di and I were at Deebe's and just decided to go see it. And it wasn't a bad movie at all. As far as comic book movies go, I thought it was probably one of the better ones I'd seen, probably right up there with X2 and Spiderman, although not quite as good as those two. But it sure beat the heck out of Daredevil and Hulk.

But here's the thing: maybe I should read more comic books. I haven't picked one up since I was in middle school and Superman was killed. But somehow comics have morphed into demons and stuff like that. And it was a bit odd. There was a bit of me sitting there watching this demon with shaved horns, a fish-man, and some tentacle creatures all fighting and I'm sitting there just going "hmm." It was fun and energetic, and surprisingly well-shot. But if I was ten I would have loved it so much more.

And it sounds like I'm bashing the movie; I'm not. It's just the whole hell-thing and demons and gates and Rasputin and nazis kind of had me lost; I'll be honest and say I didn't really get what was going on. . . although I had fun being lost. But what I did really enjoy, surprisingly, was that this was a comic book movie that actually spent some time with the characters. It's about friends, fathers, and lovers. . . and for me, that was the most intriguing and well-made part of the movie.

In fact, the best part for me wasn't any of the action scenes, but a very funny sequence where Hellboy follows his crush and her date to spy on them and ends up eating milk and cookies and getting love advice from a boy. It was sweet and funny, and really played off how quirky the movie was.

So, would I recommend it? Yeah, I would. It's fun, quirky, and knows just how absurd it is. Not the best movie I've ever seen, but a good ride.

And today is the Saturday that is packed to the gills with stuff. I have to go get my suit altered, buy some clothes for Florida, maybe hit the gym if there's time, and clean the place up. Erin's coming over for another bad movie night--I believe Gigli and From Justin to Kelly are on the board tonight--and I can just do my laundry when she shows up. Plus, I did have a somewhat serious topic I want to tackle here, so I hope I have some time to do that.

But for now, have a great weekend!
C-Dubbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home