Friday, April 09, 2004

The List Everone Who Knows me asks. . .

While I'm trying to kill the last two hours at work here, I figured I would forgo the Friday Five I started last week and actually compose a list that everyone who knows me seems to ask about. That is, the list of my favorite movies. Now, I'm going to do a list of ten. . . but I'm also going to include five runners ups that I love just as much. . .just that some of them are newer. Now this is in no way a complete list. As a major film lover, there are probably dozens of films I could rattle off that I completely love ... and you may find me mention a film not on this list as one of my favorites. Deal with it :) But this is a good start . . .

1. The Shawshank Redemption: I wish I had seen this movie in the theatres, because I think it is probably the most beautiful, poetic movie I have ever seen. There is a scene where Andy (Tim Robbins' character) plays opera music over the loudspeaker, and the camera pans over all the inmates in the yard, looking up in wonder. That is the most beautiful scene in any film that I have seen. . .it chokes me up every time. But the writing is just as good. . . a conversation following that scene about hope is one of my favorite dialogues in any movie. The acting is top notch. But I think the reason I love this film so much is the way it makes me feel. . . hopefull. "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best thing. And no good thing ever dies," Andy says. "Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'." This movie is so inspiring, so touching, so beautiful. . .my absolute favorite.

2. The Lord of the Rings This is for the entire series. Never in my life have I sat in such astonishment as I have for these films. The sheer magnitude of the story and the special effects were enough to make me totally feel like a geek. But as great as Middle Earth is, it's the story that drives this 3 part epic. Sacrifice, friendship, heroism. Although it involves hobbits, elves, dwarves, and wizards, this is a very human story. And of all the things I saw, the thing I remember is Frodo carrying Sam on the slopes of Mt. Doom in "Return of the King." A classic series.

3. Raiders of the Lost Ark: A little over a year ago, I had the opportunity to see this on the big screen. Then I watched it this Christmas on DVD again. And each time, I get the same feeling. A goofy smile comes over my face, the adrenaline starts pumping, and I'm in heaven for two hours. This is the way you do an adventure movie. A great, iconic character. Fun thrills. Clever humor. I love the sequels, but none of them match the great feeling the original gives.

4. Die Hard: Again, going with the original here. This is the movie I watch every year while I'm wrapping Christmas gifts. And every time, I still get caught up in the suspense of watching John McClane dash around, fighting terrorists. Bruce Willis is a great actor, and this is my favorite roll of his. . . just so self-assured, funny, and smart. The action scenes rock. And still, there are wits, brains, and logic in this movie. . . something the sequels (fun as they are) threw out the window. Some may say it's in bad taste to dig this after 9/11. I say Yippe-kai-yay.

5. Kill Bill volume 1:I can't wait to get back from Florida so I can see Volume 2. Though it's only a few months old, this movie has zipped pretty high on my list. Yes, it's nothing more than an exploitation flick. Yup, it is all style and no substance. And yeah, it's bloodier than The Passion of the Christ (though much more fun.) But the sheer style of it is why I love it. Quentin Tarantino's trademark dialogue is toned down, but in it's place he displays a keen talent for music, visuals, choreography, and story telling. It's a rush of a movie, one that has you cringing, tapping your toes, smiling, cheering, and --best of all--wanting more right away. Can't wait for part 2.

6. Saving Private Ryan:Everyone talks about the first 20 minutes of this movie. And while I'll admit that sitting through the Normandy invasion was one of the most terrifying movie experiences of my life, I think it's the final moments between Matt Damon and Tom Hanks that really devastated me. His words "earn this" make us realize how much we take our freedom for granted. The battles don't get more epic as they go along, but as we learn more about these soldiers we dread the violence that will take their lives. It's harrowing, scary, moving, and a great tribute to those who gave their lives for our country. It is also the only movie to reduce me to sobs in the parking lot afterward.

7. Braveheart: Some people will find it to be heresy that I think this is more of a favorite than Mel Gibson's OTHER violent film. We'll get to that later. His story of William Wallace, though, is every bit as passionate, inspiring and heroic. It's a classic epic story of living passionately and being willing to die for what you believe in. He's a true hero in this film and it's a stirring call to action for those of us who live too often afraid of our own passions.

8. Say Anything. . . : Those who know me best might find this to be an odd choice for me, but they just don't know I'm a romantic at heart :) I hate romantic comedies where the characters are caught up in some plot that conspires to keep them a part. But I love love stories that deal with real emotions: how great it is to be in love, how scary it is, how frustrating it can be. These characters act like real people in love. And it warms my heart each time I watch it. I love this movie!!

9. Good Will Hunting: Say what you will about Ben Affleck and Matt Damon (although I respect both as actors.) A few years ago they wrote and starred in this little wonderful gem of a movie. Yeah, it's the same male bonding thing as Finding Forrester or Antoine Fisher. But there's an honesty to it that comes off as manipulative in other movies. Robin Williams tones it down and he's never been better. But I suppose I love this movie because I identify with Will Hunting: he's afraid to trust people, afraid to take a risk. This movie hits me very personally.

10. A Simple Plan: Most people have never heard of this thriller starring Bill Paxton and Billy Bob Thornton and directed by Sam Raimi, who went on to do Spiderman. And they're missing out on a twisted, emotional thrill ride. What would you do if you found millions of dollars in the woods? Would you keep it? And how far would you go to protect your money? Would you kill for it? No matter who you had to go through? This is a dark, dark movie. The wicked twist at the end provides an unexpected emotional punch. Billy Bob and Paxton have never been better. this is one of those movies I that I love and appreciate more each time I see it.

Honorable Mention. Most of these are films that are quickly growing on me, or comedies I feel that are deserving of favorite status.

Pirates of the CarribbeanWhen I heard they were making a movie based on an amusement park ride, I cringed. How could it be any good? But this was the most fun I had all last summer. Johnny Depp makes this movie worth watching with his totally out there portrayal of Captain Jack Sparrow. Kiera Knightley is beautiful. The story is a ton of ghostly fun. A swashbuckling deight!

Finding Nemo:I love cartoons, especially the computer animated kind. And Pixar has made the best. This little film is so beautiful to watch, the way the animation just jumps off the screen. But it was surpisingly also one of the funniest movies of last year (a toss-up with Elf). And watching it more on DVD I laugh a little bit harder each time. Funny funny stuff.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: This is a newer one I just saw a few weeks ago. But I totally fell in love with it. It's a mind trip that plays around with an intriguing idea: what if you could erase the memories of that lost love? You can read further on the blog to find my detailed thoughts on this. But Jim Carrey and Kate winslet are perfect in this. And while being an ingenious head trip and great concept, it's also an emotional powerhouse that grapples with the idea of love and its consequences.

The Passion of the Christ: This is a weird one. I don't feel it belongs on my top ten list. But I also feel guilty for placing it here. It's not entertaining. I can't say it was enjoyable. I can't even say I'll watch it countless times. And yet, I think it's a phenomenal work of art. It makes you think. It makes you meditate on the sacrifice of Christ. It is beautifully photographed. It's brutal to watch and exhausting to endure. But it's also one of the truest uses of cinema for artistic expression that I've seen. While I can't say I love this film, I can say I sincerely appreciate it and admire what Mel Gibson set out to accomplish.

Tommy Boy/Dumb and Dumber: Again, this may be heresy for including it right after The Passion. But I have a soft spot in my heart for these comedies, that make dimwitted behavior seem genius. Endlessly quotable, fun to watch with the guys. Guilty pleasures all around.

Well, that's it! Any comments on it? E-mail cdubbs727@msn.com
Later!
C-Dubbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home