Sunday, July 11, 2004

So what's YOUR problem?

One thing that a lot of the artists this weekend kept talking about was the AIDS epidemic in Africa right now. It's something that's always on the news. Bono, politicians, even Chris Tucker have talked about this issue. And, to be honest, it's something that I've always changed the channel or flipped the page when someone talked about it. And so, when Third Day was the first group to broach the subject, I felt like it might be time to hit the restroom.

But this time, I stayed and listened. And my heart, as I heard the tales over and over again during the weekend, continued to break. 6,500 people die of AIDS each day in Africa. Each day, 9,500 more people in Africa are diagnosed. There is a debt that is nearly impossible for the countries there to repay, many from dictatorships that no longer exist. The children nead to learn to read and write, and yet the countries are still saddled with debt and trade restrictions that make it nearly impossible. In the 1990s, the UN made a goal that each of the richer countries should contribute something like 3-7% of their GNP to help development in Africa (I forget the figure, but you can go to www.data.org to get it.) The United States only annually contributes 0.12%.

Wednesday, my roommate's car was broken into. Tonight, he was depressed about having to get it replaced. A legitimate problem, yes. But when we look at the situation going on across the world, we find THIS is the problem we have to complaing about? Our cell phones not working? We may not be able to get that vacation we want? We live in a suburb where they aren't the same color as us?

Something is seriously wrong.

It gets even more wrong when I realize it's the church that still does a lot of the complaining. My own church just spent millions of dollars to build a new sanctuary. It was well needed, I will agree to that. I'm not against the new building. But could certain expenses have been spared and the money sent to missions?

I was setting up my budget a few weeks ago. I meticulously set up slots for tithing, entertainment, car repairs, groceries, laundry and anything you can imagine. But no slot was there for charities or giving to those in need.

Forty hours of my time is spent at work each week. I get off around 4pm. I go to bed around midnight. That's around 40 extra free hours just Monday-Friday. Saturdays are usually wide open. I spent my 50 or 60 free hours doing anything you can imagine. I go to the gym. I work overtime. I go see countless movies, I watch numerous television episodes, I take miles of walks. If I'm bored, I take a nap. But I spend no time involved in any charitable or community work.

Something is seriously wrong.

Americans feel entitled to success and wealth. Why? Have we done anything to EARN it? We pat ourselves on the back because work 40 hours a week and feel we've earned a weekend off. What about those who toil in the sun and have $1 a day to live on? Because that's what's happening in Africa. We feel we've earned the nice car. We deserve the great house. We need all the new toys. Says who? Tell me why. Give me one justifiable reason. The reason we have anything is because God has either blessed us with it or we've squandered to get the things we think we need.

We have too much.

James 1:27 says, "Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world."

I fail at the first command AND the second. I don't give to charity. I don't help those in need. In fact, I often scorn those in need and worry about my own "poverty" (the fact that I live like a king compared to most people around the world escapes me most the time.) And I definitely don't keep myself unspotted from the world. True, I'm not totally into possessions. But I feel I have to have money to see each movie. Have money to eat a nice dinner instead of going cheap. That I have to have the latest TV. Or, at the very least, I have to have cable tv and the internet and a cell phone. Because, after all, aren't they the essentials?

I need to wake up.

The American Church needs to wake up. We have to realize that we are called to love our neighbor. But our vision of who our neighbor is needs to change. My neighbor may live millions of miles away. This world is bigger than just our country. Our country has gone and gotten itself drunk on possessions and priveleges and wealth. And, sadly, we in the church live the same way. We still live like we need nice things. Or live that we deserve anything at all.

To live like we're better or more deserving of material blessings is to spit in the face of God. God ordained that some of us were blessed to live in this country where we have running water, clean sheets, and a roof on our head. God also ordained that some people would live in a world where they are dependent on others just for food. No one is better in his sight. We're all destitute sinners in need of a savior. And for those of us who have the means, we're called to feed, clother, and give drink to our brothers and sisters across the world.

I'm looking more into this project called DATA that was started by Bono. Their website is www.data.org. Please check it out.

C-Dubbs

3 Comments:

Blogger Hazel Donovan said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
cash for car removal brisbane
cash for cars bundaberg

June 14, 2021 at 9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
Thank you and good luck.
cash for cars melbourne city
cash for cars toowoomba

June 14, 2021 at 10:48 PM  
Blogger Max Cash For Cars said...

Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work.
cash for cars caboolture
sell my car ipswich

June 15, 2021 at 12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home