Sunday, July 04, 2004

"I want them all to know that they'll all soon be as dead as O-Ren"

If you don't know what that line's from, you've never had the pleasure of watching Kill Bill, Vol 1. If you've never seen that, than I'm left to assume that you've never seen Kill Bill, Vol. 2. And if that's the case, and you're any type of movie fan, than I am only left to conclude that your entertainment life has a big fat hole in it that only Quentin Tarantino's masterpiece can fill. But first things first. . .

The move wore me out and didn't get me home until quarter to five this evening. I was worn out and smelly and Erin said she knew no one at the BBQ, so I decided I was just going to take a nap and then spend an evening alone. My big plan was to grab a pizza, watch Volume One of Kill Bill and then go to the cheap movies by my house and watch Volume 2. I absolutely love both flicks and have been very curious to see how they hold up together, especially with the major tone shift that the second half has.

However, I laid down for my nap at about six and, next thing I knew, it was after eight!! By then I was so lethargic from the nap that I didn't feel like going anywhere. So, I picked up a pizza and watched the first volume. I'll catch the second one sometime on my vacation this week.

It's funny, though. I've always dismissed volume one as simply the adrenaline rush, kinetic part of the series while volume two has the emotional core. But watching it this time, knowing what awaited The Bride (aka Beatrix Kiddo) in part 2 added another whole level of depth to the movie. The silent moments with Hattori Hanzo had a feeling of a mentor preparing his student for an arduous journey. The tone seemed more relaxed and less rushed, probably because I knew that this was only the halfway point. And after the battle with O-Ren Ishii, there's this sense of exhaustion and fatigue, but also a sense of sympathy in knowing all that The Bride still has to endure. The physical hard part may be behind hire, but she's not prepared for the emotional shotgun blast awaiting her. In short, knowing how the series ends makes Part One that much more epic.

Wow, I love this movie. Quentin Tarantino may be the most gifted filmaker out today. Who else would score a martial arts death orgy to dance songs, including a tango?? His skill, his sense of rhythm, even his music choices all add up to one heck of a ride.

And if Uma Thurman is not remembered down the road for her work on this, shame on everyone! The physical and emotional journey her character takes is just as tough as anything Jim Caviezel had to do, probably more so.

People may shy away from this because of the blood and exploitive elements of the movie. That's a shame, because they're missing out on a great ride. Kill Bill is filmmaking at a higher level than most action movies ever even dream of reaching. It's funny, epic, emotional, exciting, thrilling, and whatever other positive adjective you can throw in there.

Okay, I'm done. Until I go see Part Two again this week.

C-Dubbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home