Friday, June 25, 2004

Hmmm. . . I'm getting the impression Michael Moore might not like George W. Bush. . .

Well, it's Friday. The week is over, except for two hours of overtime I'm going to do tomorrow. Friday night always feels like survival to me. Like I came through by the skin of my teeth and just need to lie down and recuperate or something. . .

So after work today I went and saw a matinee of Farenheit 9/11, the new film from Michael Moore. Now, before I start talking about the movie, I should probably let you know a bit of my political background. I tend to be conservative and vote Republican, although I am by no means a card carrying Republican. In fact, some of my views are flat out the opposite of theirs. I believe in stronger gun control, more government assistance for medical care, and I oppose the death penalty. But, like most Christians, my sticking point is abortion. I cannot justify voting for someone who approves the murder of babies.

And, although I'm not his most ardent supporter, I do stand behind President Bush. I feel he handled 9/11 as well as anyone could be expected to. It was a situation I don't think anyone should ever have had to be faced with, but he brought the nation together and made us confident. As for the war in Iraq. . . I'm getting to that. . .

So why, you may ask, would I even think about going to see Farenheit 9/11, a "documentary" that makes no bones about it's intent--to get Bush out of the White House. Well, I for one believe Michael Moore is a heckuva entertainer. While Bowling For Columbine had some obviously staged moments, I do agree with the politics behind it enough that it doesn't bother me, I feel the facts and theories spoke for themselves, and I thought it was altogether the best film of 2002 (That didn't involve hobbits, that is.) Plus, I'm not the type of person who will only listen to pro-Bush rhetoric. I want to hear both sides of the story. Plus, this is the film everyone is talking about.

So what do I think?

First off, the film is not near as brilliant, moving, or great as Bowling For Columbine. That's not so much a criticism as it is a praise for the previous movie. But it's a remarkably entertaining, frequently hilarious piece of propaganda. Whether you agree with Moore or not, you can't deny that it makes you laugh and is never boring.

However, the first half of the movie is an all out assault on President Bush, that I thought was unfair. I didn't like the race card being dealt with the election. That's soooo 2000. :) Bush's reaction to the terrorist attacks, where he sat and read to kids for seven minutes? What was he supposed to do?? Leave the class in panic or sit and think while not letting anyone think he didn't know what was going on. Flying the Bin Ladens out once air travel resumed (a fact the movie makes more of a big deal of than it actually is)? Regrettable, but understandable. . .although I would have had the FBI question them, a point that Moore makes. As for ignoring CIA evidence that a terrorist attack was being planned? Yes, very very regrettable. But then again, these come by every day. . . and didn't Clinton have an opportunity to go after Bin Laden and not take his chance? Moore needs to stay out of the cheap shots and be an equal opportunity accuser. Objectivity would help a great deal.

But, the current war in Iraq has always been a point of debate for me. We went under the word of our President telling us that there were weapons of mass destruction there. We found none, more than a year after the war began. Why didn't we get out then? We have Saddam. . .wasn't he the bad guy? Why are we still there? We say it's to fight a war on terrorists who attacked us. . .but isn't Al Qaeda in Afgahnistan? And where's the proof that Iraq was involved in 9/11?

This film shed some light on the war and the big business profits to be made from it that really made me cement my view that, although I respect Bush's authority, I think the war in Iraq is wrong and we have troops dying daily for no reason. The most powerful moment in the film, and probably of any film I've seen this year (other than The Passion) are the scenes with a mother from Flint who lost her son in the war. These scenes are truly heartbreaking as she reads his last letter and then walks to the White House for closure. In fact, I was in tears as these scenes unspooled.

Moore makes a powerful point at the end. Our wars are started by the rich and elite. But our soldiers come from the lower class. Their gift to us is that they risk their lives for our freedom, and they don't deserved to be sent out to risk those lives without good cause.

So did this movie change the way I'll vote in November? I don't know. John Kerry is not getting my vote. But Bush is not my favorite choice. I have a sneaking suspicion that if he stays in office, the only way to stop this war will be by reinstating the draft. . . the only reason it's not in effect now, I'm afraid, is that Bush needs to watch his approval ratings. And although abortion is a big issue for me, I have to weigh whether it's worse to have the potential to risk unborn lives that COULD be lost or to waste the lives of soldiers over there RIGHT NOW who could die unjustly. I don't know. Mickey Mouse may be my vote.

Whatever your political views, though, I urge you to see this movie. It's moving, funny, and thought-provoking. Worth the price.

After the movie, I came home and did laundry and watched Office Space. I swear, the guys in that movie are my heros. There's not much better than having a long, hard week in the office and coming home and watching that movie. It's like revenge :)

Well, I'm tired. Time for bed. I'll write later!
C-Dubbs

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I will have to admit that your review of the Michael Moore documentary is more level headed and more open minded, than any I have read so far. And, I agree with most of what you said about it. I think I might vote for Mickey mouse too. heh. No, seriously, my choices really stink and therefore, I doubt that I will vote at all. Furthermore, I doubt I will complain with the results, either, being as I am not voting.

Your assumption that the real targets should have been Afghanistan and Osama and not Saddam and Iraq, are the same logic that I have tried to spew too, but to no avail. Most people are very for this war, especially conservative Bush supporters.

Then some will say that we had to go over there because Saddam is an evil dictator; well, so is Fidel Castro in Cuba and the situation in Sudan is horrific, and we are not over in either of those places trying to liberate those people???

For some reason, it doesn't add up. Don't get me wrong, I am for America and I stand behind our nation and our troops and I do honor the president. It does not mean, however, that I need to agree with it all. All I know is that it is God's will, somehow, and he will work good out of this.

I lived in Flint 17 1/2 years, before moving to Tennessee and then to Pontiac; I understand Michael Moore's mentality and his rage but, I don't think what he is doing, i.e., downgrading our nation and our president, is anything less than seditious. God has established the throne of the kings [and the presidents] and so we have to trust that all will work out for the good of those that love God and that God's glory will supersede it all, in the end.

Good thoughts here; it will be one of my daily reads! :o)

In Christ,
Annie
http://www.blogontheweb.com/sangtalkzone/

July 1, 2004 at 2:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally! A balanced review! I've been searching high and low for one and all I've read are diatrabe or rants against Moore, which is not what I'm looking for.

Yes, agree with you about the 7-minute thing. I had thought that Moore was too hard on Bush about that. I think it was a very human reaction, and who knows what's running through Bush's mind then? Only God, so let's not make assumptions.

But definitely, if I was in the US I would watch it. I don't think they'll bring it over to Malaysia though, sadly.

Messy Christian
(http://messychristian.blogs.com)

PS: I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to recommend your post on my blog

July 1, 2004 at 5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home