Thursday, June 17, 2004

A quiet day. . .

I guess I could go into my day, but nothing of interest really happened. My laundry took forever (my fault.) I watched the parade and rally. I went over Tim's and watched some good old Simpsons' episodes on his computer. Took a walk. Nothing big.

But, two thoughts were on my mind today. . .

1.) As I was watching the parade today, I was really caught up in just how exciting this was for the city of Detroit. Really, just a great sense of pride and accomplishment for the citizens of the city. The real fans stuck by the Pistons all year,always believing. When your team is the underdog and comes out on top, it's a real sense of pride. However. . .

After the parade was over, the news anchor said something that bothered me. "We had church here today. This was a truly spiritual experience for me."

Now, I'm all for championships and parades and victories. I was up all night watching the games along with the entire nation. And I was happy as a clam when the final buzzer sounded and the Pistons were crowned world champions. But that news anchor's comments made me realize just how sad this is for a lot of people.

For some people, this WAS a spiritual experience. Following a sports team to a championship is as close as they've ever gotten to transendence. And I realize that people are finding life in this. And we find life in other areas. We try to find it in the perfect job, the perfect relationship, with just the right amound of cash.

But next year, someone else will get the championship trophy. Even if the Pistons get another championship season, eventually that trophy will be passed on in a few years. There's always the risk of a pink slip at work. Relationships end with broken hearts. Life is thought to be reached and then quickly slips through our fingers like sand.

And in realizing that, I realized how glad I am to have found the one thing that doesn't slip away. God is faithful. God is unchanging. God will always satisfy thirsty hearts. In Him is life. It's in no other. . .

2.) As I was taking my walk and doing my prayer time, I reaalized something incredible about prayer. I've always considered it as my communication to God. The flip side of the quiet time coin. Reading the Bible was God speaking to me and prayer was my turn. But today I thought of just how involved God is in prayer.

The Holy Spirit gives me the desire to pray for things. It prompts my heart for the things to pray for and focuses me on God. It prompts my requests and shapes my heart. My prayers go to Christ, who is the intercessory between me and The Father. The Father then sets everything into motion to make sure the answers to my prayer are made to His glory. If not, the Holy Spirit directs me to pray for the glory of the Father.

All I am in prayer is an instrument. While I'm bowed at my desk, praying in my car, or talking on my walk, there's an incredible conversation going on in this universe. All parts of the Trinity are working in prayer to bring glory to God. How incredible it is to be a small part of that!

And I see then, that prayer is an act of worship. Prayer is magnifying God. Depending on Him and realizing just how active He is. And when I realize that, then prayer is something I can't miss or forget to do. Even the "small" prayers become major chances to worship.

By the way, I realize that Tuesday's post printed up three times. I could delete two of them. But I'm lazy :) Write later!

C-Dubbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home