Wednesday, June 16, 2004

A good day to be a Detroiter. . .

Normally, trying to sleep over fireworks, shouting neighbor and blaring car horns would drive me insane. And even though our air conditioner was back in working order last night, I decided to keep the window open and let those sounds lullabye me to sleep.

Those were the sounds of victory. The sounds of rejoicing.

So, the Pistons did it last night. Beat the Lakers 100-87, and took the title of World Champions. The last time the Pistons did that, I was in elementary school. Yeah, we've had a certain hockey team do it three times since I've been out of high school, but this victory seemed much sweeter than any Stanley Cup victory.

The newspapers were filled with the stories this morning, comparing the Pistons' team to the city of Detroit. Both are underdogs. When they entered series, no one expected them to beat the Lakers. Our own newspapers were cautiously optimistic that they could go five or six games. Well, they were right. Five games. . . but the outcome was a bit different than anyone had anticipated.

I'm not a big sports fan, but I got swept up in this. You can call me a fair-weather fan, and you'd be right. But I think there was something more than that in this series that got me hooked. This was about pride. This was about our city, blasted on so often by the press and the late-night talkshow hosts, getting the proper recognition we deserve, in front of the entire world.

The newspapers were right: The Pistons this year WERE like the city of Detroit. They were the underdogs. They didn't just go in on the strength of their superstars and waltz away with the trophy. They worked for it. It was a blue collar effort, indicative of a city that has to work for its respect and cherishes every small victory because it means progression. That's Detroit. On the outside, no one expects anything. On the inside, Detoit is full of pride. And I, for one, and proud to be considered a Detroiter.

So work is going okay today so far. I think everyone's just in a pretty good mood today. I'm working some overtime, so I get off at 6:00. Tonight Erin and I are going to do a Warren Wednesday, meaning we're going to go to White Castle and then catch a movie at Universal Mall, arguably the most ghetto mall in the world. But I'm extra excited, however, because the movie we're seeing for $1.50 is "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," which any avid reader of this blog (you out there?) will tell you that is my absolute favorite movie so far this year. I love that movie to death!! Perfection!

Tomorrow I have the day off and, coincidentally, it's also the victory parade for the Pistons. Not sure if I'll go, but I'll at least watch it on TV if I don't. Then it's a guys' night with . . . the guys, I guess :) Friday night I just found out Jeremy Camp is in concert in Clarkston for $12, so I think I'm going to see that.

Well, lunch break is over! Write later!
C-Dubbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home