Friday, June 11, 2004

The end of the week is oh so sweet. . .

Nice Friday night tonight. Got home from work and took a nap that really just loosened me up and relaxed me. Seriously, it was something I needed so much. Work had really taken it out of me this week and it was nice just to realize that for two days I don't have to set foot in that building. So, it was nice. . .

Got Chinese food for dinner. That's always something worth writing about, I guess :)

Erin came over and her, Diana, Brandon and I watched a few movies. We watched Scary Movie 3 which I just think is a riot (some people disagree.) It's the cleanest in the series (not saying much) but it's also just got this warped sense of humor. I love a good spoof and I was very surprised that the third entry in what was never a very exceptional series was so fresh and fun.

But we also watched Miracle, which seriously vies with Remember the Titans as my favorite sports movie. Not as emotional as Titans, but it's such an exhilirating movie. Seriously, this might be one of the most uplifting, feel-good movies I've ever seen. And even though we all know how the 1980 game turned out (and I had already seen the movie before) it still carries a whallop of suspense.

I think that's what I appreciate about sports. It's not the skill. It's debatable, but I happen to think that there's nothing exceptional about being able to throw a ball through a hoop or shoot a puck in the net. I can't do it and I'll admit that there is a grace, skill and beauty in sports that is really fun to watch. But still, it's just a game, when you get down to it. People get paid so much less for much more noble causes.

Except that sometimes, as this movie says, it's more than a game. When I took a sports reporting class in college, it was really an eye-opening look at the drama that sports carries. It's not just about a game. It's about legends, about pride, and about that feeling of community.

I think in Detroit we're experiencing it this year with the Pistons in the finals. Why do we get so upset with Jimmy Kimmle over his stupid comments? Because we are reminded with these games that we have a city we should take pride in. That there's more to Detroit than burned out buildings and crime. There's hope and joy in the Motor City, even if it's not always easy to see. And sports is a rather nice way to remind us of that and bring out the community.

I'm not a sports fan simply because I don't have the discipline to sit for four hours three times a week and watch others be more active than me. But I appreciate sports. I appreciate the drama, the passion and the dreams that the sports world holds. And, as with the 1980 Hockey team, I appreciate the way that our fears, dreams, and hopes can be played out in an arena where no one has to die. There's just the clock, the net, and the players. And that's a pretty exciting thing.

C-Dubbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home