Wednesday, June 09, 2004

When our trains derail . . .

So this morning I go out to leave for work at 7:00 and it takes me 20 minutes just to go four miles!! I hate traffic. I couldn't be late because I didn't want a write up, so I called and took the morning off (my attendance record is a lot better than my tardies, so that's no risk.) But still, I hate doing that. I hate having a job where I can do that, because it means I'm expendable. I don't show up and it goes on. I'm nonessential. Not throwing a pity party, it's just that I recognize that the role of a customer service rep is not much farther up from the counter clerk at McDonald's . . . pretty much anyone can do it. But at least I DO have a job, it pays well and I'm reaally adjusting to the fact that it's only temporary.

Taking the morning off has had its benefits. I've gotten to dedicate more time to the job search. I think I'm going to really polish my resume after this and send it out this week to Marx Layne, the PR firm I interned at in college. I have been looking at Verizon as being a detriment to me getting into a communications career. But, honestly, I can use it as a strength. My journalism degree gives me the writing and reseaarching skills. But so much of Public Relations is built off on interaction with clients, and Customer Service has developed good people skills in me.

It's giving me time to talk to my counselor about the drop, as well. It looks like it's going to work. I hope so. I can't do this class with the other obligations I have going on.

That's my morning. . . Hopefully a better update later today!

C-Dubbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home