Sunday, July 11, 2004

I'm back

Well, got in today from the four or five days I spent in Cincinnati at Kings Island for the Spirit Song festival. All in all, for the most part, it was a fun weekend. I'm very worn-out and tired, though, and enjoying a nice evening of quite time to myself right now. Doing some laundry, catching up on my blog, do my devotions, take a long walk (maybe a swim) and then watch some TV before going to bed so I can be refreshed for getting back to work tomorrow. But as for the trip, I guess I'll try and do a day-by-day synopsis to the best of my memory.

Wednesday: The day didn't really get off to a good start. Our air-conditioning went out (again) on Tuesday night, and Brandon's car was broken into over the night as well. So we had to spend the morning with him getting a police report and me getting to the apartment offices to get the a/c fixed. But we got on the road at about 9:15, stopped once for lunch at Subway and then made it to the campground at around 2 or so.

The campground was nice, for a tent/canoe campground. We got the tent and airbeds set up with no problem. Then, Brandon and I decided to go for a swim in the nearby river. It was a nice river, but very shallow with a very rocky bottom and a strong current. Diana (Brandon's girlfriend) suggested that we go farther upstream and then float down to the beach. We did that, but unfortunately hit white water which meant we spent a good 10-15 minutes careening off of rocks and getting pretty beat up.

After that, we grabbed dinner at Cracker Barrell (a MUST when you're on vacation) and then just stayed around the campfire all night.

Thursday: We knew this would be the day when the park would be least crowded, so we decided to hit the majority of the rides this day. We got right on Tomb Raider, which is an incredibly fun indoor ride. Then we did an indoor looper, Flight of Fear, The Racer, Adventure Express, Vortex, Beast, Top Gun, and Son of Beast. If any of you have never been to Kings Island, this park is great. Probably the best collection of roller coasters in terms of inovation and the park is so much cleaner and more spread out than Cedar Point. After the rides, it was time for the first concerts:

Sanctus Real: They're one of those "groups to watch." Their first CD, "say it loud," was a fun little cd a few years ago. Their new album, "Fight the Tide," is much improved and really rocks. The band's good in concert, but nothing spectacular. Still, a nice way to open up the festival.

We skipped the next group, Superchic(k), so we could go do...something. I forget what. Maybe ride a ride.

Third Day: Third Day is probably my favorite band to see play live. They know how to do a good rock show, but also remember to keep it Christ-centered and worship-oriented. I also learned that their new cd, which I had dismissed as trite, really sounds good when played live. The band had a ton of energy, played to the crowd really well, and delivered probably the best performance I've seen them give. Points off for not doing "Love Song," but it was still a good show.

Friday: This day was hot and muggy and we were getting worn out from walking around and waiting outside, so over than hitting a few roller coasters, we hit some indoor rides, saw a show, and then headed to the concerts. And the line-up was. . .

Relient K: Eh. Don't get me wrong. I love Relient K's music. Their two latest cds are probably the most played discs I own and I think they're probably one of the most talented bands in Christian music right now. But my problem with seeing them in concert is that, aside from a few quirks, I don't get anything from a live performance that I can't get from a cd. Give them time, I guess, and they'll develop. But what we got was a much shorter set than they did at the Alivefest a few weeks ago. Good, but nothing great. Am looking forward to the new cd in November, though.

Toby Mac:Please, someone, tell me why this guy is not headlining the festival? This was THE BEST show of the weekend, hands-down. Even if you aren't into rap (I'm not), you can't deny that T-Mac puts on the most energetic show you've ever seen. It's IMPOSSIBLE to stay in your seat during his show. For nearly an hour and a half he rocked the whole theater and I think every arrangement for every song was something new and unique. His back up singers and dancers were incredible, but his energy was what to really watch. I was a bit angry when dc talk's members did solo acts, but he has probably transcended anything the band has ever done. Pick up his absolutely great cd, "Momentum" if you don't believe me. For me, I can't wait until October 5th when his new cd, "Welcome to Diverse City" comes out.

We skipped the next few groups to get some dinner at a nice little chinese restaurant at the park. The closer that night was. . .

Audio Adrenaline: Wow. I had written them off a few years ago, thinking their best work was behind them. But I was wrong. I'd forgotten what a good catalouge of music they have and the concert was a blast. They really have fun up there and really rock the whole theatre. The encore was great, especially the "more cowbell" moment.

Saturday

We basically were worn out this morning. Plus, I had to get my glasses fixed from having them in my pockets the entire weekend. So we did that, grabbed lunch at Fuddrucker's, and then hit the local movie theatre. We saw "Anchorman:The Legend of Ron Burgundy." GO SEE THIS MOVIE!! I won't spoil anything except to say that this movie is funny, bizzarre, and unpredictable. Great work by Will Ferrell, who is becoming our great comedian, but Steve Carrell from "The Daily Show" stole the movie as Brick, the really low-IQ weatherman. Funny stuff.

The bands:

Jeremy Camp: Good show by him. I love his worship cd, and think it's one of the best worship ones out there. Don't know his original cd, "Stay." As a result, I knew half the songs. Always a bummer. But still, he was good. He's touring with Sanctus Real this fall, so I want to catch that.

FFH: I really liked this band a few years back. But just don't dig them in concert. Kind of trite. Nothing energetic. Fun, but nothing great. They got rained out halfway through. No big whoop.

Jars of Clay: I'd forgotten how many good songs Jars has. I love this band and think their latest cd, "who we are instead" is one of their best (although their best cd is still the first one--a classic in Christian music.) Oddly, I didn't catch any songs from "If I left the Zoo," "Much Afraid," or "The Elevnth Hour". But still, they were good. Not really a festival band, though. I'd love to see them at a smaller venue in a more intimate setting. I'd LOVE to see them on tour with Caedmon's Call because I missed it last time.

Newsboys: Newboys are always dependable for a good show, even if it doesn't change much. "Shine," "Breakfast." They taked a bit more this time, which wasn't great. But at least they took the time to give a testimony. Good, solid show.

Capped the trip off with a Kings Island tradition: a nighttime ride in the front car of The Beast, arguably the best roller coaster on the planet. It was foggy, too, so it was an incredible rollercoaster ride, hurdling through the woods in pitch black and fog at 70 MPH. Great ride. If you go to Kings Island and don't ride this ride, you're missing out.

Okay, well there was more, but I've got some things to do. I'll write later!

C-Dubbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home