Friday, May 21, 2004

Sometimes you just have one of those days. . .

Never thought I'd be so glad to see a Friday end in my life! I don't know what was in the water today, but today was just one of the most stressful, horrendous days at work I'd ever had. I don't know why people think they can suddenly lose all class and tact when they're on the phone with customer service, as if swearing and yelling are going to up any desire we have to help them. Quite honestly, I know they think we'll give them what they want just to get off the line. But in my opinion, all that the yelling serves to do is make me just want to stand my ground so they get even more ticked off.

So, needless to say, it was just one of those days where you leave work tense and stressed out and feeling very beat up and tired. So I headed back to the apartment and headed right to bed to lay down for a half hour. . . that turned into an hour. But it was a well needed nap.

Erin was swamped with church obligations tonight so she didn't come over. It's probably better that she didn't as I was in a nasty, rotten, lethargic mood tonight from work. But, you make the best of things. I did the laundry, bought myself a few slices of pizza from Dolly's and hit the video store. Problem was, the only ones that interested me were House of Sand and Fog and Elephant, both of which are supposed to be quite the downers. So, I didn't rent anything.

Instead, I headed back to my place, ate my pizza while watching and episode of Chappelle's show and then took a walk. I headed back, did my devotions and prepared for Bible Study tomorrow and then watched Bowling For Columbine.

It's really sad that Michael Moore had to tarnish his image with that speech at the Oscars. That's all that people associate him with now, and it's really a shame. Bowling For Columbine is one of the most thought-provoking, powerful, and entertaining documentaries I've ever seen and, in my opinion, it was the best film of 2002 that didn't have Lord of the Rings in the title. I think it's so sad that our culture is so afraid that we've given in to buying guns to protect ourselves. That we still place all our blame on the black man. Really, it's sad. And I think this documentary did a great job of not just pressing for gun control, but exploring the ideas of why a country like ours has such a problem with violence when Canada has just as many guns, double the unemployment, and just the same diversity and yet does not have the murders. It's a tough movie to watch, and it's kind of frustrating because there are no answers to be found.

I'm not one to go follow Michael Moore everywhere. I think he does come off as pompous, one-sided, and a bit of a jerk. And I'll allow that although I think he's an incredible film maker, I wouldn't consider him a journalist, per se. He can't be objective enough, and I think it does hurt his films a bit (for a good example of how objectivity can make a documentary brilliant, check out the distrurbing but excellent "Capturing the Friedman's.") But I will say that he brings up intriguing points and some of his information is pretty factual. That's why I am interested to see how "Farenheith 9/11" is when it comes out.

I'm not going to get into my political views here right now. They're not too interesting, I guess. I do lean more conservative, although there are some issues I don't agree with. Maybe I'll write those later. For now, I have to get to bed.
C-Dubbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home