Friday, May 07, 2004

Farewell Friends. . .

So last night was the highly-anticipated Friends finale. Having been a big fan of the show for the past 10 years, I did watch it with high expectations, wanting to see how everything turned out for the six. And what were my thoughts?

I thought it was a very fitting way to send off the series. It wasn't as funny as a typical episode of the show, prefering instead to wrap up key plot points and get everyone where the fans wanted them to be. But it was a nice, heartwarming send off.

Stop reading now if you don't want to know what happens!!

I was a bit disappointed that more wasn't done with Joey and Phoebe's characters. But Joey will have his own show, so we'll see how he turns out. And Phoebe had her big moment earlier when she got married. Seeing Monica and Chandler get not just a baby--but TWINS!!--was a funny surprise. And, of course, the Ross/Rachel resolution WAS predictable back at the beginning of the season, but still brought a smile to my face just as well. I personally would have liked to see Rachel move to Paris and then Ross give everything up to go after her and have a reunion there. But then we wouldn't have gotten my favorite moment of the finale, which was the six just standing in the empty apartment, laying their keys on the table, and going out for coffee. That was a perfectly low-key way to end everything.

What I liked is that the producers and writers repected the fans with this finale. They knew what we wanted to see resolved. Not just the big issues, but the small nagging questions. What happened to the original duck and chick? Would Gunther ever have a chance with Rachel? Unlike Seinfeld's finale, which removed them from New York and from anything resembling the wit and tone of the show, the best thing I can say about this finale is that it felt like a final episode of Friends. Good job. I'll miss the show. . .

But I have to admit that it WAS a bit in bad taste to follow up Friends' miracle of birth finale with probably the most depressing ER ever, dealing with Carter's miscarriage. Some of the medicine I'm on carries the warning that it may make teenagers think suicidal thoughts. . . they need to affix that warning to the beginning of ER. Seriously, when did this show get to be such a downer?? This season there was that horrendously sad episode in the infant ward, Carrie loses her girfriend and baby, that one guys has a heart attack. The only time that ER has brought a smile to my face this season was with Dr. Romano's Wile E. Coyote moment with the helicopter. Smashing. Ah well. . .

So the weekend is here. Because I'm so broke, I'm not really doing much. Tonight I am supposed to go out to eat with Erin and a few of her friends to Chi-Chi's. Tomorrow morning I'm working some OT from 9-12, then I'll probably hit the gym, then we're going out for my Dad's birthday. Not sure what I'll do after. Sunday is Mother's Day, so we've got church and then dinner at Papa Vino's.

Well, that's about it for right now! I'll write later. . .
C-Dubbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home