Tuesday, May 18, 2004

The bane of the summer cold. . .

I should have paid more attention to my sinuses yesterday. By the time I got to Erin's, my face felt like it was surrounded by foam, with the sinus pressure just squeezing my cheeks, eyes, and neck. I figured it would pass by today, but I was so, so wrong. . .

This morning I woke up and my head felt like it was in a vice and my chest was so congested that it felt like someone was just pressing their foot down on it. So, although I hate doing this for just a cold, I called in to spend a day getting some rest at home. . .

I feel a bit better now. My head is still congested, but no longer do I have a headache. I took a Sudafed so now I'm not leaking, sniffling, or sneezing. I feel a bit tired and drained, but that's just the result of probably too much sleep. I should be in fighting shape by tomorrow morning. . .

Staying home did give me the benefit of catching up on a lot of schoolwork. I had volunteered to be the point man for our team project and I just ended up getting everyone's (well, ALMOST everyone's) papers last night. So I spent hours getting that organized today which saves me time tonight, which is nice.

I'm debating whether to head to the gym tonight. I know I need to go work out, and that I'll probably feel more energized if I do. But I don't want to wear myself out. I'll probably go, though, and take it easy. . .

Bible Study was very eye-opening last night. We started talking about discipleship and becoming more like Christ. But the conversation somehow shifted and everyone started talking about how stressful, worrisome, and scary life can be. And I really sympathized. I know that--especially since my stroke--I've felt worried. And this time of life, learning how to live on your own and balance budgets and be responsible can be both exciting AND terrifying.

I'm so glad that God gave us His Word to turn to in times like that. Because instead of giving in and getting stressed and fearful on my own, the Spirit directed my thoughts to Matthew 6 when Jesus was talking about worry and about how God takes care of the sparrows and the blades of grass and we are worth so much more to them than any of those things! I love the verses in Matthe 6:31-34

Therefore do not worry, saying "what shall we eat?" or "What shall we drink?" or "What shall we wear?" For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For you heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therfeore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

There are so many wonderful truths in this passage.

1. God knows what I need. It's pointless to worry and ask questions about where things will come from. God is the ultimate provider. To worry questions His provision. And He knows what I need. If He knows, and He's proven He provides, then why should I worry?

2. God provides just what I need if I'm seeking after Him. When I worry, I'm not making Christ the focus of my life. Instead, I need to seek first God's righteousness and live for His kingdom and He will give me enough to get by and glorify Him. If I don't have it. . . it might mean I don't need it!

3. God guides us one day at a time. I think this is the hardest thing for me to put into practice. I like to know the future well in advance. I like to think I'm two steps ahead of anything. But God doesn't always guide us that way. He takes us one day at a time because that's how He develops our faith. Why worry about tomorrow? Tomorrow may never come! And if I'm worrying about tomorrow, how will I focus on trusting God today!?

Like I said, this is such a rich passage. I'm so glad God gave us this teaching to turn to when life gets rough.

C-Dubbs, out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home