Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Crawling to 4:00 . . .

I'm in the middle of yet another wonderful day here at Verizon Wireless (I hope you're picking up on the sarcasm.) Just another day where the calls are flying in nonstop and everyone seems to want to take a shot at the poor, defenseless rep. So, obviously, it's a bit hectic here, and my attitude has been at risk all day. Actually, this morning it was pretty well shot, but I've since gotten a bit of an adjustment.

I had to be reminded of what we were talking about at Bible study last night. The topic was serving, and I was reminded about just how little of a servant's heart I can have. When it comes to helping at church or even taking the time to help somebody else with a problem, I just can get very selfish and prideful. I don't like to do what might not be the most fun. And putting others ahead of myself is just something that is sadly pretty foreign and (to be brutally candid) off-putting to me. That's why, in the midst of the calls at work, I turned to Phillipians 2:5-8:

Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

That's a very butt-kicking verse to me. My attitude needs to be one of a servant, because that's what Christ was. Again, as Pastor Bob has preached a lot, the servant is not greater than His master. Why should I think it's beneath me to serve when the one who is Above everything had no reservations about being a humble servant? Why should I be so reluctant to be humble when the Creator and Sustainer of the Universe was willing to wrap himself in flesh, get sick and pick thorns, rocks and mud out from between his disciples' toes? What right do I have to groan and grumble about a stressful day at work when the Lord of Life willingly endured beatings, scourgings, and being nailed to a cross?

It means that I have to change the one thing I have control of at work: my attitude. And not just at work, but whenever I deal with people. As a Christian, there's no justification for selfishness. There's no such thing as "Chris time." Everything has to be done for God and, in doing that, for others.
C-Dubbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home