Saturday, May 29, 2004

Vampires and werewolves and Frankensteins, oh my!

So tonight I went to see Van Helsing with Brandon and Diana. I went in not knowing how much I was going to like what I saw. The reviews had been scathing, but Erin and my sister had both liked it. So I didn't know whether I was in for some dumb fun or a 2 hour headache.

I have to say that while this is by no means the best summer movie ever made (Independence Day has always been my favorite big event flick), the critics were way too harsh with this film. When the movie works, it's a fun ride of a movie that can be immensely enjoyed as long as you check your brain at the door.

Unfortunately, there are a few instances where the movie doesn't work. It depends on cheesy humor too much, especially at the beginning. And Richard Roxburgh, who I enjoyed so much in Moulin Rouge, overacts WAY TOO MUCH as Dracula, and his brides are just plain silly. It would get a bit frustrating to have a scene that was just purely fun and cool and then skip to something cheesy and eye-rolling.

But, thankfully, the movie works more often than not. I loved pretty much every single action piece in the movie; there was just a fast-paced kinetic energy that got the adrenaline pumping. The effects were as good as they needed to be and even though the script was an afterthought, you have to admit that it was fun to see the Wolfman, Dracula, and Frankenstein's monster back on the screen together. And the cinematography was beautiful . . even when it got cheesy or boring, it was always a joy to look at this movie. And Hugh Jackman really is proving he can be the Next Big Thing.

So, here's the test. If you liked The Mummy or The Mummy Returns, (which are both directed by the guy who did this), then chances are good you'll enjoy Van Helsing. It's got the same mixture of camp, adventure, and horror that those two did, although I enjoyed this one a bit more due to the absence of dirigibles and whiny kids. Worth a look!

So, after the movie, B-D-and-I (it's easier than typing) went to Deebe's for coffee and Shannon, who I hadn't seen in over a year, met us up there. It was nice to see her again! I'm glad things are going well for her. She's moving to Ypsilanti on Tuesday and she's engaged! Good for her!

Tomorrow I'll be at Aaron Lawless's wedding, so I'll be seeing more of my old friends there. It's funny, though. A few months ago I was writing about how I missed the old group. But I'm starting to realize that, although I miss them, I don't regret the way things happened. I'm growing as a person. The friends I have around now are the friends who God has chosen to fit me best in this period of life. And though some of those friends were very close to me and it broke my heart to let them go, I'd have to honestly admit I'd take an Erin or a Brandon over them anyday!!

Well, I'm tired and I don't want to sleep in too late tomorrow. The wedding is at 2 and I want to try and hit the gym sometime before then. So, until then, farewell and adieu!

C-Dubbs

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You love me don't you :-)
-B.Wood

May 29, 2004 at 7:13 AM  
Blogger CDubbs said...

That's just sick and wrong, B. (That's my roommate to those of you not aware.)
--C Dubbs

May 29, 2004 at 11:43 AM  
Blogger menna said...

شركات تعقيم المنازل من فيروس كورونا في دبي
شركات تعقيم المنازل من كورونا دبي

November 11, 2021 at 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home