Friday, May 28, 2004

"Mr. President, we're going to kill us a mummy"

And THAT my friends is a movie line I guarantee you I never expected to hear. Especially when the character saying that is an aging Elvis Presley. And the president in question is John F. Kennedy. A black John F. Kennedy. Whose brain was replaced by a bag of sand. Ahem. Welcome to the wonderfully odd world of Bubba Ho-Tep.

This film was my pick at the video store today. . . and if you have to ask why, just consider what the film is about. Elvis Presley switched identies with an Elvis impersonator, but then broke his hip, ended up in a coma and now lives alone in a nursing home with a strange growth on his, um, lil' king. Also at the home is JFK who spends his days trying to find out the second killer in a conspiracy that had him taken out of office and dyed black. Oh yeah, and his real brain is in a jar in Washington and he's afraid they'll unplug the battery. And these two old men have to team up to defend their nursing home from an Egyptian mummy who sucks souls out through the rectum and then, when they're fully digested, flushes them down the toilet. He also likes to draw graffiti in Egyptian on the bathroom stall. Do you even have to ask why I was intrigued by something this odd?

While not destined for any "best of" lists or awards, this film was actually a fun little gem to stumble upon. What's surprising is that the movie doesn't really go for easy laughs or odd humor. The humor plays out very subtle and the movie's tone is that of a contemplative drama about aging. . . and it works. Yeah, there's a mummy going around and Elvis's battle cry is "TCB, baby." But it's a good little flick. Bruce Campbell gives a wonderfully bizarre performance, channelling Elvis Presley while not turning it into a one-note joke. And Ossie Davis adds gravity to his role of JFK in a role that could easily be laughed off. Fun stuff, really.

So that's how I spent my day, other than the nap that I took. So much for being productive with my last half of a vacation day. But oh well. . . sometimes you just have to let loose and relax, right?

So I guess I have a fan on here. . . someone actually posted a comment! And to be honest, I had kind of written off film criticism, and I don't know why. After all, my major was journalism and my minor was film studies. It IS kind of a no-brainer, I guess. Except that newspapers aren't exactly clamoring for film critics right now.

But I've decided to jump back in the ring and get back on the writing track, something that was actually inspired by writing in this blog. I'm going to start pursuing some freelancing to build up my portfolio and then check out some newspapers once I'm happy with what I have. That means, too, that I can be flexible with the job I have now. . . if I find something else, even if it's not a career-option, at least I know it's temporary. Who knows, one day maybe it will be Wiliams and Roeper!!

Well, my sagging gut is telling me it's time to hit the gym before I check out Van Helsing tonight. Keep those comments coming! Or e-mail me at cdubbs727@msn.com!!
C-Dubbs