Friday, March 26, 2004

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind review and some minor ramblings. . .

Took advantage of my early departure today to hit the Forum and see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind with Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet. On my way down Mound, there was a part of me really wondering if I wanted to head to the movies. After all, I'm already going tonight and Sunday night Erin and I may catch The Ladykillers. But I had the extra cash and I knew my alternative would be to head back to my apartment and either nap or watch tv, so this was probably as good an alternative as any.

And this is one time in my life when I'm very glad I followed my instincts. I went in expecting a quirky indie romp that would probably have some twists ala screenwriter Charlie Kaufman, and some laughs via Jim Carrey. I was not expecting to witness one of the best, most honest movies about love that I have ever seen.

To describe this movie would not do it justice. The only way I could prepare someone would be to tell them it's a stylistic mix of
21 Grams, Memento, and Being John Malkovich . But even that wouldn't work. Because this isn't as depressing as the first. It's got more heart than the second, and even though the screenwriter is the same as John Malkovich's, this time the brilliance doesn't make us feel too aloof to appreciate it. This movie, simply put, is brilliant, moving, and possibly the best romantic comedy I've ever seen. If you can call it a romantic comedy. Because despite Jim Carrey in the starring role, this movie depends more on plucking our heartstrings than on nudging our funny bones.

I won't describe the plot. You owe it to yourself to discover it on your own. But the ideas are so interesting. What if you could erase the memories of that old love who broke your heart? Even if it meant losing the good ones? Do we tend to remember the bad memories and forget the good ones they were built around? If we don't have good and bad, can we really be truly in love? Doesn't love depend on knowing and excepting one another's flaws? What if you knew in advance that a person would steal your heart and sweep you off your feet. . . but that along with that, there would be pain, harsh words, boredom. . . would it still be worth it? If we can't remember our mistakes, are we just doomed to repeat them?

This movie answers all of those in such an entertaining way. It may strike some as confusing at first, but if you hang in there, everything pays off. It's a movie about all things about love--the inconvenience of it, the fear of it, the joy of it, the hurt it causes. It's about accepting the one you love, warts and all. There's a scene in the movie near the end with Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet in his apartment hallway. And the simple word "okay" in that scene carries more weight and emotion than any other embrace, "I love you," or kiss in any movie I've ever seen.

The acting is top notch. Jim Carrey is more or less the straight guy in this role, and this is the most impressive acting he's ever displayed. None of the over-reacting of Truman Show, the bizarre nature of Andy Kauffman, or the blandness of the Majestic (speaking of erasing painful memories.) He reigns himself in, and totally disappears into the role. These are the types of quirky films he should be doing if he wants to prove his range. I've never much admired Kate Winslet, not even in that big boat movie (although I do love the movie.) But in here, her character Clementine totally won me over. I was totally sold for her and in love with this character. Tom Wilkinson, Elijah Wood, Kirsten Dundst, and Mark Ruffalo all give great performances in their small, but pivotal, rolls.

Some people may get frustrated by the fragmented nature of the story. I'm not always the biggest fan of doing things this way, but here is an instance where it worked. Take a chance on this movie, especially if your only other option this weekend involves Scooby Doo. I know some may call this heresy so soon after The Passion, but this is my favorite film so far this short year.

In other news . . .

The thing I hate most about apartment living is laundry. It seems that every time I have a few spare hours to do it, someone else is taking the opportunity from me. And the worst part is when they leave their clothes in their for hours on end and neglect the dryer. Aarrrggh!!!

Busy weekend coming up. Hitting the movies (again) with Erin and Diana tonight. Have to help out at the church this morning (they want people there at 8. . .isn't it a sin to be up that early on a Saturday?) Ryan's bachelor party is tomorrow night. Sunday is church. . .

Only two more weeks til Florida! Can't wait! A nice, long vacation is just what the doctor ordered.

Okay, I think the Simpsons is about to come on. I'll write more later. . .

C-Dubbs

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prices Of Drugs [url=http://www.wickedpassion.net/]cheap ambien no prescription[/url] The FDA specifically approved Ambien for the short term treatment of insomnia, which usually means that the medication can be safely used for two to six weeks. http://www.wickedpassion.net/ - order ambien cr

December 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home