Tuesday, August 24, 2004

I am feeling very Olympic today. . . how 'bout you?

Not a bad day today. Getting back to work was fine. . . it was actually a pretty slow day, so that helped things stay kind of calm. I got my loan check from Fidelity, so I actually have some money :) I got to grab dinner and ice cream with Erin and then go back to her place to watch the Olympics (whoever decided to make beach volleyball an Olympic sport is my favorite person in the world!)

The Olympics really make my mind boggle. First off, doing some of these events never ceases to amaze me. These gymnasts have so much strength, flexibility and control over their bodies. I can barely stumble down the hall first thing in the morning, let alone jump and flip and. . . um, run. Their lives have been given over to training and complete dedication to reach this one point, where they can prove they are the best in the world.

And I can't imagine what it would be like to win the gold. To stand on that podium with the cheers of thousands, a gold medal around your neck, watching your country's flag rise higher as your nation's anthem is played. How can they keep from breaking down into tears? How can they remain proud as they realize this sport is so much bigger than them. . . they aren't just proving something about themselves, but about the land they represent and the people who sent them there.

In 1 Corinthians 9:24-25, Paul wrote, "Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a persihable crown, but we do it for an imperishable crown."

People ask why I live the way I do. Why I don't hit the bars, sleep around, or participate in some of the things they do. I could say it's because "I'm a good person," but I know that's a lie. I'm not good. None of us are. Rather, I do the things I do (and don't do the things I don't do) because I know that I am called to live a life that glorifies God. I know anything else hinders me from living a life worthy of Christ, just the same way that eating a candy bar, sleeping during practice, or not training at all is going to have a negative impact on an athelete. I also know that what I do reflects on the one I represent, just as carousing Olympians can tarnish their country's reputation. It's not about me.

When that flag is unfolded, I have to believe that the Olympians forget about all their training and all their effort. Rather, they are proud of the country they represent. They are proud that all eyes and ears are trained on their country, the one they believe very proudly is the best in the world. When I receive whatever crowns I get or I gain any recognition, I pray that my attitude will be the same. I want all eyes directed, not at a flag, but at a cross and an empty tomb. I want them to know that I did this because I represent the Best.

I also wonder where the Olympians can go after the game. After winning the gold medal and being called the best in the world, what can you do? What other high is there in life? Can you obtain a higher goal? Or is your life destined to be a punchline on VH1 or a trivia question on "Jeopardy"?

But I love what Paul wrote, ". . .Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, wehn I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified."

Our crown will not pass away. Our prize is certain. So, our training is not in vain. Living and walking by faith is not pointless. Our prize is certain. Our future is clear. And all of this is worth it. I pray that I can live this way each and every day and that at the end of my life I can echo these other words of Paul,

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing." 2 Timothy 4:7-8


C-Dubbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home