Monday, August 23, 2004

I've done absolutely nothing and it's everything I've ever dreamed it could be. . .

That pretty much sums up my day off today. Usually I get mad at myself for just slothing around and being lazy, but sometimes it's just so nice. Today is one of the nice days. Other than a quick trip to the bank, I've done absolutely nothing of any concern today except putz around the internet, watch TV, eat lunch, do my devotions, and take a refreshing nap. After this entry I plan to do some reading, take a long walk, and maybe hit the gym. But for now, I've also had a lot of thoughts bouncing around in my head and I want to get at least one of them out now. . .

I'm constantly amazed as I study the life of Christ in my devotions just how much I've never picked up on before. Even though I've heard the stories all my life, reading through the Gospels again is just such and amazing, refreshing experience that continualy puts me in my place. I have things I want to say about that over the next few days, but I want to start today with something that we've all heard before.

In John 2:13-25, Jesus cleanses the temple for the first time. This has always been an account that has touched a nerve with me. For one, it's done so simply because I think it shows a human side of Jesus, as he's angered about the irreverance shown to the Father. But as I've grown older, there's been something else that consumes me: his passion for the church. The verse that always stands out to me is John 2:17, Then His disciples remembered that it was written, "Zeal for your house has eaten me up."

We talk a lot about What Would Jesus Do. We teach a lot about being Just Like Jesus. And in those talks, we tend to focus so much on compassion, love, and humility. Nothing wrong with those things at all. But very rarely, if ever, do we talk about having a passion for the Body, a zeal for the church.

Last night I was having coffee with a friend from my church and a friend I had grown up with at an old church. And we spent some time talking about various meltdowns at churches we had gone to. Pastors who were immoral. Staff who were burnt-out. Budgets that had to be slashed. The American Church right now is going through a crisis point. Churches are viewed as homes to hypocrites; greedy evangelists; immoral adulterers; and pedophiles. I'm sure the church has contained all those people through it's history. . . after all, it's full of sinners, so what more do we expect? But I'm seeing an alarming, sad trend, especially around people my age. Instead of fighting for change and being consumed with a zeal for the Body, Christians are giving up and getting out.

One of my friends and I left my old church at the same time, about two and a half years ago. I was quick to find a new congregation to call home that I'm very thankful for and fond of. But my friend stepped out of church. She said the hurt and betrayal caused at her old church was too much for her, so she was going to find her own way to worship God.

I'm seeing this a lot. People are "taking a break from church." I've heard so much talk about "I can be a good christian without going to church," "If I'm not going to worship why should I go," and my personal favorite, "it says where two or more are gathered in his name, so since I'm hanging out with my friends, isn't that the same as going to church?" It makes me sad that so many Christians are disillusioned with church. I can understand why; I've seen churches that have been split and torn apart all my life. But is the right answer to get out? Can we really say, "It's just me and God and that's all I need?"

First off, let me clarify. Going to church does not make one a Christian and not going to church does not strip one of salvation. I don't want to imply that at all. But, as I've heard said before, when you remove the Gospel from any context of community, it ceases to be the Gospel. Christians were made to be in a community. Church IS utmost importance.

First reason actually goes back to what I was saying before, about our thoughts of What Would Jesus Do. As we grow in Christ and learn to be more like Him, we will learn to love the things that He loves. And Christ loves for the church. He died for the church. Yes, He loves us all individually. But He died to create a new people for Himself, a new nation. And that's the church. We're not just a family, we're a body. And an arm and leg don't just wander off separately. We're joined together in Christ and we work together. Christ loves the church and I think we're doing a big disservice when we shun the church for the World or for ourselves.

Second reason is that we all need each other. There are certain tasks that the hand cannot do on it's own. I can't walk on my hands (some circus performers can, but I don't believe the body of Christ is a carnie.) I need Foot to help me in the areas where I can't get by. We are called into community. We are dependant on each other. I think in this age of internet isolation and working from home, we've come to make an idol of independence. But we can't live the Christian life as an island. I need my brothers and sisters in Christ to encourage me, admonish me, pray for me, and worship with me. When I feel low and I feel that I can't go on in this walk, I need the strength of my brothers and sisters.

Third, is the reason of the Great Commission. We're called to finish the work that Christ started while He was on Earth. While I feel there are great avenues for evangelism and witness in the secular arenas of life and through our own personal testimonies, we cannot ever think for a moment that those things make church unnecessary. Church is what brings us together to worship. Church is where we are taught. Church is our living room for our family. Church is important.

I know many people have been hurt by church before. I've been hurt by churches. But the answer is not to give up and get out. The answer is to pray, read the scriptures to see how the Church should function, and. . . the part we most often fail on, Get Involved. We're quick to point fingers at those who don't vote and participate in our government or our communities. But most of us come to church, sing a few songs, listen to a sermon, and leave, maybe after staying to talk for friends. But if there's going to be change it's because we have to be committed to working and doing our part in God's family. Yes it involves sacrifice, work, and maybe a bit of hardship...but since when was it supposed to be easy??

C-Dubbs

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a question, should you go through the motions even if you're disheartened? When you can't get past the fog of disapointment and listen to the pastor?

August 29, 2004 at 11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home