Saturday, July 17, 2004

Memory is a wonderful thing when you don't have to deal with your past. . .
                                                                                           -Celine (Julie Delpy) Before Sunset
 
Today was a bit of a lazy day. Like I wrote in the last entry, it took me awhile to get moving today. I woke up about 11:00 and then sat around blogging until 12:30. After that, I took a shower, ran some errands, grabbed some Subway, took a walk, etc. Erin was supposed to come over and watch some DVDs, but she wasn't feeling well, so we nixed that. By the way, I realize some weird things have been going on with my fonts lately, but Blogger's had some nice developments in the way you do your entries, so I've been playing with them. :-)
 
Anyway, I also couldn't get last nights movies out of my mind, so I decided to go out to the Main Art Theatre in Royal Oak and see Before Sunset. I wrote earlier of my love of viewing the first movie last night, and I was curious to see if the sequel could recreate the same magic.
 
I actually think this movie is better. Not only is this the best sequel of the summer (not that it takes anything away from the wonderful Spiderman 2), but it's probably the best movie of the summer and one of my top five this year so far. This is the rare sequel that expands on the characters, respects the original movie, and yet stands on its own without the original.
 
You don't have to have seen Before Sunrise before seeing this, but it helps. It takes place nine years after that night in Vienna in Paris. Jesse is an author who has written a book based on that night. Celine shows up as a surprise and they spend an hour and a half walking around Paris, catching up on old times and talking, talking, talking.
 
It seems like this could be boring, but--just like the original--it never is. The conversations feel fresh and unscripted and resonate with an honesty that you rarely see in the movies nowadays. I'm glad they didn't go with the current pop culture fad and talk about movies and music the whole time. . . like the first movie, they focus on the fears and wonder of the world and their philosophoies of life.
 
The film answers some questions that we had about the first movie. Did Jesse and Celine sleep together that night? Did either of them show up in Vienna on December 16? I loved the way that those questions were answered in ways that didn't compromise the magic of the first movie. In fact, I was a bit worried that the sequel might negate the first movie. After all, Before Sunrise was about that once-in-a-lifetime chance for love. How can you do a sequel to that?
 
The answer is that it makes you realize the precious nature of that first movie and the magic of young love, foolishness and all. The characters have grown older this time out and are in different places in life. I like that the movie respected how to address their past and recognize the complications of starting over without ever making it a movie about those things. This is a movie about looking back at what youth was like and realizing the complexities of life and the hurts we had that change our outlooks.
 
Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy knock the performances out of the ballpark. It's risky to have a whole movie of people walking and talking, but they manage to always make the film intriguing and interesting. This time around they seem to be lighter on their feet and there's a nice humor to this movie and a sweetness to it. It doesn't ever cross the line into sapiness and remains honest the whole time. The beauty of the surroundings makes the film easy to watch, too. Never more have I wanted to travel to Paris. It's breathtakingly beautiful.
 
There's so much I could say about this movie. Richard Linklater's direction is smart and subtle. The real-time unfolding of the plot adds a layer of suspense and urgency to it. The progression of the characters from being cautious about what they talk about and reveal to their tearful confessions near the end is beautiful. The scene in the car with Celine's hand is heart-breaking (you'll know it when you see it). Celine's "waltz." The ending that is at once frustrating and perfect. I want to see this again!!
 
More than anything, though, this movie is about that feeling of regret we can sometimes live with. What about that one that got away? I love that the movie doesn't have these two rush into each others' arms and make out. They deal with their absence honestly and in a way that is totally realistic. They don't bring up the problems with their possible future, but they are there all the same. There are no bold declarations of love, no torrid sex scenes, no big physical romantic gestures. And yet, this is the most romantic movie of the year. And yes, that is me saying that :)
 
It's the idea we always think about : what could have been? What if we would have said hello to that one person? What if we would have come clean about our feelings instead of keeping them bottled up? What if we had been given a chance, taken a chance, realized the chance? What would have been different if we had ended up with that person? Would we be happier? Sadder? Is there only one person out there for us? Will we be miserable if we don't find them?
 
I have more than my share of Ones That Got Away. But there's always one in particular that I think about from time to time. She was a good friend. Everyone said we should date. Although I probably had a bit of a crush on her, I never came clean on it, and never really realized it. We got along great. She was a great girl. Looking back, she probably had feelings for me. Nothing was ever brought up, discussed, or acknowleged between us though, probably for fear of ruining the friendship. She moved to another state after awhile. We said we'd keep in touch. I haven't talked to her in over a year and a half. And still, at times, I wonder "what if"? Not that I'm pining for her. I'm not. I think my fear is that I'll make the same mistake again, in fact be doomed to this life of fear and terror that prohibits me from getting involved.
 
And that's, again, what this film is about. Taking those moments that matter. Live life today, for tomorrow we die. Carpe Diem and all that.
 
It's been a mediocre summer for movies. Shrek 2, Van Helsing, and now I, Robot (so I've heard) are films that can probably be enjoyed but they will be forgotten next year as the next big event film comes along. Do yourself a favor. Take your money and go see Before Sunset. In fact, if you've never seen the original, do yourself a bigger favor. Rent the first and do a double feature. If you're a romantic, you'll love it. If you're a film lover, you'll love it. If you've ever had those moments of love that seem permantently burned into your memory or wanted another chance with that one who got away, you'll love it. They are both great movies.
 
C-Dubbs

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home