Monday, August 30, 2004

decreased. . .

As I've been slowly going through the Gospels in my own personal study, I'm amazed at how much detail I've missed all my life. The life of Christ has made for many epic stories and there are amazing things that He did when He was on the Earth, that's true. But the thing that surprises me as I pour into the details and spend time just on sections we normally gloss over is just how human and intimate Christ was and how the responses of those around Him was such a lesson for the life we live today.

John the Baptist has always been glossed over whenever I've heard the Gospels taught. He's kind of always been described for me as the warm up act to Christ. The announcer. The M.C., if you will. But in looking at John's gospel, I've seen just how much humility and passion John had for the Lord.

In John 3:22-36, there's a dispute going on between John's disciples and the Jews. And they come and ask John the differences between him and this new "rabbi" how is stealing all John's thunder. Rather than explain that we all have differences or to each his own, as we often do, John points his disciples to Christ and says that He's the reason John's been doing all the teaching. All that he's been doing has been preparing the way for Christ. In reality, he really was the opening act. His response in verse 30 is so poignant and true to the calling we are called to each day. "He must increase, but I must decrease."

John's whole life and ministry was to point people to Christ. Not to impress them with his preaching or dazzle them with any tricks. His only job was to prepare the way for the Lord and bring people to the One they had been waiting for.

As I meditated on it over the past week, I really began to ask myself if we're that different. We get wrapped up in our lives. We think we're the main characters in our own little stories, and I think that's why so many of us get discouraged and despair. We're part of a bigger story. And whatever talents, gifts, or situations God has placed in your path are still only there for one reason: to glorify Him.

It's been humbling as I've tried to put that passage to heart. Yes, I'm called to do good at my job, to be respectful of people, to be there for my friends, to pay my bills, to be a good citizen. But why? Because they are good things or because I'm supposed to be a nice guy? No! The reason I should be doing anything I do is so that people look at my life and ask the secret. They ask "why." And then, instead of pulling out my Seven Tips for Success or rattling off my credentials, I can point them to Christ. That's the only reason I'm here.

He Must Increase, and I must Decrease.

C-Dubbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home