Sunday, September 05, 2004

Relaxing so much that it's wearing me out. . .

Well, it's Sunday and the Labor Day weekend still has one more day to go. The week at work ended on a tiring note, but I guess that's what happens when you do so much overtime. Anyway, though, it's been an intensely relaxing weekend that has been sorely needed. Getting ready to have some people over the apartment, but I thought I'd use the time I have to catch up on my blogging with what's been up this weekend.

Friday night after work Erin came over and we had a marathon of Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2. Watching both those movies together really is quite the experience, as the whole tale takes on an epic nature. Tarantino has put together a real classic here, one of the most immensely entertaining films ever. Uma Thurman, David Carradine, Lucy Liu, Michael Madsen, Darryl Hannah and all the supporting characters put in career-best work here. The action scenes are exhilirating and the story is so wonderful. What struck me this time is how much of a love story it is. It's not revealed until the last act, of course, but this is a movie about heartache and Bill's reaction to it. In fact, the first scene in Volume 1, we are watching the Bride's final moments before going into a coma. What is Bill's line at that point? "This is me at my most masochistic." There's a reason that line is there and I like that Tarantino brings it back at the end to a climax that would be bizarre if we hadn't spent so much time with the characters.

Saturday was busy. Erin and I went to Pontiac for Arts, Beats, and Eats, which was a really great time. I love art festivals and I love just looking at the different works people have worked so hard on. I don't pretend to understand most art, just like I don't pretend to understand most poetry. But that doesn't mean I have to understand it to appreciate it. We didn't stick around for any bands, but the food was good and plentiful. It will be fun to go back next year, I think.

At night I went back to my parents' house and watched The Passion of the Christ. It's easy to distance yourself from this movie a few days after and write it off as just violent and depressing. But the reaction I get when watching it is unlike any other movie. I'm not depressed, I'm not horrified, I'm not sick. Instead, I'm numb and sobered. I don't really think this is the film for people seeking answers about Christ, simply because there is no context for them to put it in. But for those who do know Him, I think this movie is a beautiful meditation on His sacrifice. One thing that kept going through my mind throughout the movie was Mary's words as she's watching the scourging. "When? Where? How? My son will you choose to be delivered of this." What happened to Christ was extreme; mankind at it's darkest hour. Any of us would have given up, would have just let ourselves collapse and die or choose to show off our powers. But Christ fulfilled the Fathrer's work, no matter what it cost. And for us. I'm still speechless for a good half hour after this movie and I think Mel Gibson has crafted a very beautiful, powerful film that is hard to watch but impossible to ignore.

Today was church, nothing much new there. Tomorrow I will be going to the Renaissance Festival. For now, I gotta get going because some people are coming over. Enjoy your Labor Day!

C-Dubbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home