Friday, September 10, 2004

The Bachelor's Blog. . .

Ugh, the bane of being 25 and single. Weekends suck. Your friends are out in their couples and you're left alone with the TV and some pizza (or a sub from Quiznos in this case.) Of course, I've never been one to really hate being single, until this year when it started to be hammered home that I'm getting older.

I'm not one of those people out there who believes singleness is a sin. I've heard that argument before and I disagree vehemently with it. Just because someone is hitting their 20s doesn't mean that all of a sudden they should be looking to get married. People need time to grow and discover themselves and get a feel for who they are and what they're looking for. My years as a single adult have also been a good time for me to grow in my relationship with God.

People always assume that because you're single, you're lonely. I couldn't disagree more. I've always had plenty of friends around. If all I wanted was to have someone to see movies with or keep me busy, I'd be dating for the wrong reasons anyway. I've seen so many people scarred by heartache and heartbreak that I've always figured I'd bypass that and just jump into the dating scene when I feel led.

Unfortunately, as you get older, your pool of options change. Especially if you're a Christian.

See, in college you had a vast amount of options. You had plenty of people around your age at church who used to be in your youth group. At school there were plenty of members of the opposite sex around you both in class and on campus. You were constantly out and about with friends and there was always the opportunity to meet new people. If you weren't a Christian, you could go to the bars. If you were a Christian, there was always Intervarsity or some friends' Sunday School class.

After college, though, the times get rougher, especially for those of us who don't hit the bar scene. I work with women who are not only of a different race and culture than I am, but also much older. In school I'm surrounded by middle-agers giving it a second shot at their masters. I'm not out and about as much as I used to be. My options are my friends, the girls at my church and the internet. And nothing is giving me much hope. Um, especially the internet.

I guess I should be worried about where I'm going to meet the future Mrs. Dubbs. But I don't think worrying ever solved anything. This is the time when you buckle down, pray and trust God. He could reveal the special person for me tomorrow. He may never have someone for me. It's not my job to second-guess him. I'm happy and content as a single. . .but that doesn't mean I don't desire more. But the key is to desire God more than a significant other because that's where my true joy will be found.

C-Dubbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home