Monday, July 26, 2004

Last day as a 24-year old. . .
 
It's funny how addicting I find writing in this blog. I actually have nothing of any type of substance to write about tonight and yet I feel like I'm doing myself a disservice if I don't at least type in the  mundane details of my day. Maybe it's just the writer in me crying out for any opportunity to put words into print. Maybe I'm just prideful and want people to know about every single second of my day. :) Whatever it is, here's the lowdown.
 
Work was fine. Back on my 7:30-4 shift. Not a bad shift, although I miss leaving at 3:30. That half hour DOES make quite a difference. But still, four o' clock is not too shabby. I miss rush hour on the way home and still walk in the door with enough time to take a nap or watch "The Simpsons."
 
Tonight was just a pretty standard night. Went to the gym and had a good workout. Did my laundry. Finished up the rest of the pizza from last night. And I watched a few episodes of The Simpsons Season 4 DVD that I got last night. Watched "Kamp Krusty," "A Streetcar named Marge," and "Homer The Heretic."
 
I think a lot of people don't understand what's so great about this DVD release. Yes, the first 3 seasons were a cool way to see the series evolve, and I am a fan of the commentary tracks where the writers spill a lot of the secrets for the origins of the jokes. But every Simpsons fan knows thaat there was a certain point where the show just "clicked" and went from being just a clever animated spoof on sitcoms to being probaby--and I say this without hyperbole-- the best satire of American Culture since Mark Twain. Seriously, the only TV comedy that even gets close to the level of genius that The Simpsons has is probably Seinfeld, and that had a rather disastrous final season.
 
But of all those seasons, season four just seems to be the one with the most memorable episodes. This is like a yankee's fan being able to go back to visit the Babe Ruth, Joe Dimaggio, Mickey Mantle era. In just the first three episodes I watched tonight, each of those is a certifiable classic. "Kamp Krusty" is just a great parody of "lord of the flies." "Streetcar" is smart and witty and has some of the best musical numbers. "Heretic" is one of my personal favorite episodes as Homer starts his own "faith" after a wonderful Sunday off church. It has probably my one of my top ten Homer quotes when Homer sees Apu's shrine to the elephant god Ganeesha. "Hey Ganeesha, want a peanut?" Followed by Apu's hilarious retort "Please do not offer my god a peanut."
 
So that was that. I spent a lot of the day debating whether I wanted to call in sick tomorrow from work because it's my birthday. Part of me (a rather big part) groans at the idea of having to work on my birthday. But I'm a grown up. I have to take on the responsibilities dealt to me, even if I don't like it. So, I'm going into work. Maybe the customers will just telepathically know that it's my birthday and be nice to me. Nah.
 
Tomorrow night will be a low-key birthday night for me. Just going out for coffee with some friends, probably to Mount Clemens. Nothing huge; last night was my big night and my parents will take me out this weekend. But I figured that getting coffee with close friends is my favorite thing to do, so tha'ts how I want to spend my birthday. :)
 
Okay, I'm very very tired. I'll write tomorrow.
 
C-Dubbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home