Wednesday, July 28, 2004

You know our culture is screwed when I envy the Amish. . .
 
On New Years' Eve last year, I prayed that God would, in 2004, help me to break my attachments to this world and desire only the things of His Kingdom. While that work is by no means done, I have begun (as this blog often shows) to despise the things of our culture and our world. And tonight on TV I found myself being thoroughly revolted by our culture.
 
The new "reality" show on UPN tonight was "Amish In The City." If you haven't heard of it, here's a quick synopsis of the plot. Young Amish people, when they are in their 20s, take time to leave the Amish lifestyle and venture out into the city to see if they want to continue to commit to living the Amish life. The twist on this show is that these six or so Amish people are living with a group of probably the saddest, most pathetic party animals on the planet.
 
Here's my confession: I found the show utterly engrossing. The obvious culture clash was not really played at the Amish folks' expense and they really do come across as likable human beings. There was even a touch of emotion in there, such as when one of the girls burst into tears after seeing the ocean for the first time or when they explained that they had never seen art before because there's no room for artistic expression in the Amish community. It was really pretty interesting to watch.
 
But I think the joke was on the wrong people. The more I watched the show, the more I realized it wasn't the Amish folk who were deluded and to be pitied. If anything, I think those who live the Amish lifestyle should be commended. You can see a love for life and people in them and, unlike the majority of us, these people live lives dedicated to hard work and diligence. I'm sorry, but setting the budget for an accounting firm or laying out ad spreads for a magazine just isn't the same type of hard labor as raising a barn or working with your hands.
 
But as I watched these Amish folk, I noticed something else. They were baffled by how cynical and moody everyone was. They were shocked and frightened by conflict. And they were genuinely joyful. They loved the simple things in life, like learning to swim or going to a grocery store filled with hundreds of kinds of fruit they had never seen before.
 
When you look at the "normal" contestants, you just cringe and want to weep for our culture. You have the black girl who wants to "be cool with everyone" but is really itching for conflict because she promises "there will be drama." You have the blond bar chick looking forward to "partying and hooking up." The gay guy who throws a hissy fit when his advances aren't returned and who says the thing that bothers him more than anything is when people don't let other people do their own thing. . .but he's the first to mock the Amish lifestyle. And, of course, the weird Vegan girl who calls eggs "chicken abortions" and thinks cows came from alien DNA.
 
Now, I know that these people are your standard reality show contestants and were picked because they are probably the people who make for entertaining TV and shouldn't be confused with people who have real emotions, problems, and...well, souls. But it does paint an eye for what our culture says matters, doesn't it? We look for drama because we want to be proven right in a conflict. We want people to accept our beliefs so we don't feel guilty, although we still think they should conform to uor lifestyles. Life's main goal is to make enough money to buy flashy clothes, nice cars, get drunk, get laid, and basically have fun. And we're not supposed to eat meat because although we can condone a woman's right to murder her unborn baby we shouldn't dare fry a baby chicken on a griddle.
 
I think that the reason that these Amish kids seem so centered and together is because they haven't had to deal with our schizophrenic culture. A culture that has developed in this postmodern age where there's no such thing as absolute Truth. Make up your own rules; live for yourself. Ugh, what a lie. We're told that's what brings true peace and happiness. . . and yet our culture is full of depressed, cynical, angry, bitter, deluded, empty people.
 
Whereas, the Amish kids take joy in the small things. One is excited to go to the beach because she "feels it will bringer closer to God." Another, after nearly drowning, realizes the precious nature of life and you see him reading his Bible so he "doesn't get sucked under with the rest of the world." I'm not meaning to imply that these guys are all Christians, but you can see how that commitment to not conform to the world really brings more joy to their lives.
 
I hate living in a postmodern society, where we've thrown out a Creator of all, therefore we've thrown out the standard for living. We're afraid to call sin by what it is, because we're afraid of offending others or making them feel like they are sinners. But they ARE sinners. We are all sinners. . . we shouldn't be afraid to call the kettle black as long as the pot knows its true color as well.
 
Sometimes I fantasize about getting away. Becoming a missionary or some peace corps worker just to escape from American culture. Live a simple, bare bones lifestyle with no attachment to mass media, fashion, technology, or even entertainment. To have my life be lived among others in service to God and spending the days learning more about him. I know my motive would be selfish, which is why I'm not abandoning Verizon.  But sometimes I wish it would just end. That the skies would part and God would take me home, away from such a cynical, sad world. But more that that right now, I wish others would just see The Truth. Find their healing in Christ, even if though it means admitting their own failures.
 
Right now, though, I'm stuck here, smack dab in the middle of the culture. And sometimes it gets pretty darn attractive. I think sometimes I feel like those who started following Christ only to be told by him what a tough road it was going to be and that they weren't following an earthly king who was going to lead a rebellion. Most of those folks left, but 12 guys remained. And Peter's words of why he remain still bring a tear to my eye each time I read the passage:
 
Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. (John 6:68, NKJV).
 
I want that to be my prayer each day. When this world begins to push in and pressure and I feel the cyniscism and despair closing in, I need to run to Christ and His promises, because where else would I go? The words of true life--both in Heaven and on Earth--are found only in His promises. Ever since this thought has passed through my mind, I 've thought of Chris Rice's song "Naive." I want to post the lyrics here.
 
Naive by Chris Rice
 
How long until You defend Your name and set the record right?
How far will you allow the human race to run and hide? 
And how much can You tolerate our weaknesses
Before You step into our sky blue and say "that's quite enough"

Am I naive to want a remedy for every bitter heart?
Can I believe You hold an exclamation point for every question mark? 
And can I leave the timing of this universe to bigger hands?
And may I be so bold to ask You to please hurry?

I hear that a God who's good would never let the evil run so long
But I say it's because You're good You're giving us more time
'Cause I believe that You love to show us mercy
But when will You step into our sky blue and say "that's quite enough, and your time is up" 

repeat chorus

C-Dubbs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home